Fajr International Film Festival Rules & Regulations
Article 1- Aims
Set in the heart of Iran’s capital city Tehran, Fajr International Film Festival pays tribute to quality local and international films. It is an event that celebrates cultural exchange, displays creative achievements of highly acclaimed cineastes and showcases films promoting artistic contribution to the medium. Moreover, the festival also pays special attention to films that seek justice, defend the oppressed and underline humane and moral values.
The festival focuses especially on films from the Middle East, Central Asia, Caucasus and Anatolia as well as works heralding peace and friendship as true teachings of the holy prophets.
Moreover, Fajr International Film Festival provides a unique platform in this geographic region for an interchange of professional experience and international meetings. In addition, intensive training courses are offered to young filmmakers.
At the same time, the International Film Market, better known as IFM provides an excellent opportunity for the acquisition and sales of film rights, co-production projects and offers support for the production and screening of new Iranian films.
The 36th edition of Fajr International Film Festival will be held from April 19th to 27th, 2018 in Tehran, under the direction of well-known Iranian filmmaker, Mr. Reza Mirkarimi.
Article 2- Eligibility and Formats
The world premiere films are of high priority.
Accepted formats: Non-encrypted DCP, Apple ProRes 4444 or Full HD File (plus a blu-ray backup) with English subtitles.
Date of completion: 2017-18
Date of Completion for special screening films, midnight screenings, and documentaries: 2016-18
Eligible films for Main Sections:
- Feature films (fiction, documentary, animation) of at least 70 minutes running time, intended for theatrical release.
- Short films (fiction, documentary, animation) of at most 15 minutes running time.
The submission form must be completed by the producer or international distributor of the film.
In case of any international screening, Iranian films will not be included in the main sections of the festival.
International films, already premiered in the Middle East, Central Asia, Caucasia and Anatolia (with the exception of the country of origin), will not be selected for the main competitive section.
In case of submission in previous editions, the film is not eligible to be submitted again.
Article 3- Selection Process and Programming
The Festival Director selects and officially invites films to participate in the festival.
The Festival Director might use the consultation and recommendations of filmmakers and film experts for the selection and invitation of the films and guests.
All films submitted to the festival may be considered for all sections unless specifically instructed by the applicant.
The duly completed online entry form with tracking code as well as the previewing versions for selection must reach the Festival Office through the website before the assigned deadline (March 1st, 2018). All forms must be signed by the producer.
Fajr International Film Festival
Address: No. 2454, Ehteshami St., Near Saai Park Valiasr St., Tehran, Iran
Postal Code: 14348-43631
Tel: +98 21 88194257 / 88194253 / 88194248
The eligible formats for previewing and selection purpose are downloadable links, DVDs or blu-rays.
Once a film has been selected it cannot be withdrawn from the Festival programme.
Article 4- Programmes
Festival sections include:
- International Competition
- Eastern Vista – Panorama of Films from Asian and Islamic Countries
- Festival of Festivals
- Restored Classics.
- Docs in Focus.
- Special Screenings (retrospectives and memorials)
- Midnight Screenings (new approaches to different film genres)
- Broken Crescent (films with themes related to the tensions and the changes in the world of Islam)
- Retrospective of National Cinemas
- Darolfonoun (Talent Campus for Iranian, Regional and World Young Filmmakers)
- Student Lab (in Universities)
- Workshops and Seminars
Article 5- International Competition
There will be at most 15 feature films for inclusion in this section. No more than 3 Iranian feature films will be included in International Competition.
There will be a maximum of 15 short films for inclusion in this section. No more than 3 Iranian short films will be included in International Competition.
Article 6- Juries
The festival will designate at least five jury members for the International Competition.
Asian Film Awards Jury:
The Festival Director will appoint at least three jury members amongst international cineaste and film experts for the Asian Film Awards.
Note: The Award Nominees will be selected from all the films reflecting Asian culture and lifestyle in Asia, Central Asia, Caucasus and Anatolia, included in the Competition and Panorama sections.
For additional awards, the Festival Director may designate other members.
Note: Individuals that have direct ties with the production or exploitation of a film are not to be on the Jury team.
Article 7 – Awards
Feature Films in International Competition:
- Golden Simorgh for Best Film (awarded to the film director) + Iranian Rials 400.000.000 Cash Prize (jointly to producer and director)
- Silver Simorgh for Best Director + Iranian Rials 100.000.000 Cash Prize
- Silver Simorgh for Best Actress + Iranian Rials 100.000.000 Cash Prize
- Silver Simorgh for Best Actor + Iranian Rials 100.000.000 Cash Prize
- Silver Simorgh for Best Script + Iranian Rials 100.000.000 Cash Prize
- Silver Simorgh for Special Jury Prize for Outstanding Artistic Contribution in the categories of camera, editing, music score, costume or set design + Iranian Rials 100.000.000 Cash Prize
In the verdict of International Jury, the prize list must not contain joint awards and no film can receive more than two awards.
Short Films in International Competition:
- Silver Simorgh for Best Short Film + Iranian Rials 100.000.000 Cash Prize (awarded to the film director)
Asian Film Awards:
- Trophy for Best Asian Film (awarded to the film director) + Iranian Rials 200.000.000 Cash Prize (jointly to producer and director)
- Trophy for Best Asian Director + Iranian Rials 100.000.000 Cash Prize
- Trophy for Best Asian Short Film + Iranian Rials 50.000.000 Cash Prize (awarded to the film director)
Note: In the verdict of Asian Film Awards Jury, the prize list must not contain joint awards and no film can receive more than one award.
Muhammad Al-Ameen Award for Reflection of Prophetic Ethics and Morality (for one of the films selected for the main sections of the festival):
- Trophy + Diploma of Honor + Iranian Rials 100.000.000 Cash Prize (awarded to the film director)
- Inter-Faith Award + Iranian Rials 50.000.000 Cash Prize (awarded to the film director)
- NETPAC Prize + Iranian Rials 50.000.000 Cash Prize (awarded to the film director)
(NETPAC stands for “Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema”)
The payment of Cash Prizes will be based on the currency rates available during the festival period.
Article 8 –Documentation
Complete documentation for each selected film is to be made available to the Film Department when required. All the needed documents are mentioned in the online film entry.
Article 9- Acceptance of Terms and Conditions
The Festival Director will settle any case that might arise unexpectedly.
Participation in the Festival implies acceptance of all the aforementioned rules & regulations.
Article 10 – Key Dates
Online Submission Opening Date: November 1st, 2017
Online Submission Closing Date: March 1st, 2018
Deadline for Receipt of the Previewing Materials: March 5th, 2018
Festival Dates: April 19th to 27th, 2018
Fajr International Film Festival
Address: No. 2454, Ehteshami St., Valiasr St., Tehran, Iran
Postal Code: 43631-14348
Tel: +98 21 88194257 / 88194253 / 88194248